Typical services provided include, but are not limited to:
research planning and consultation, historical and genealogical
research, records look-ups, specialty map making, family history
trip planning (United States), genealogy instruction.
Research, Consulting and Record Look-ups
- The basic fee is $35 per hour. This covers research,
analysis of the findings and preparation of a research
- There is a $20 minimum charge for record look-ups that
take less than one hour.
- Time is billed in 15 minute increments rounded up or
down to the nearest increment.
- An initial consultation of up to one hour is provided
free of charge.
- Based on the initial consultation I can provide you with
a general estimate of the probable costs for your research
- Out-of-pocket expenses such as copies, postage,
supplies, parking fees will be billed at cost.
- Mileage will be billed at the current IRS rate.
- Expense items over $10 will be supported with copies of
- A deposit equal to 20% of the total number of authorized
hours is required of all new clients, unless the service is
a records look-up that will take less than two hours, in
which case the down payment will be $15.00.
- An arrangement for services can be done by an exchange
of e-mails setting forth terms or I can write out a formal
contract or letter of understanding.
- I will begin work on your project once any required
deposit has been received and I have the details of your
request in writing plus copies of any relevant past research
and supporting documentation deemed necessary.
- Payment will be due 14 days after a report has been
- I reserve the right to make further use of the results
of my work and any documents collected during the research,
including publication in articles or books, with
acknowledgment of your sponsorship of the research, unless
you request anonymity. Information regarding living people
will be kept confidential.
- Fees for other services such as specialty map making,
family history trip planning (United States) and genealogy
instruction will be negotiated based on the type and extent
of the project.
Alan R. Wambold, MA-LIS – Historical Research Services
For more information see: